Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fishtown


This is where I grew up in Northern Michigan.
Smelt Dipping here is a big event for the local people once the tourist season winds down in the Fall. I have great memories from my teenage years of the annual Smelt Fry at Carlson Fisheries that would go late into the night. Right there on the docks we would wait for the smelt to run, with flashlights and fish nets in hand. Finally, swarms (really huge schools) of small silver fish would arrive and attempt to make it up the dam. We would haul them in by the bucket loads. Carlson's fishermen would be frying 'em up fast in their special batter, and it was all you could eat for as long as you lasted, all for free. At least I think it was free. I was kid. It was free for me, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment