Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Boy and a Dog


Side-note: Wow! It was a wild night with crazy winds here. The boat launch in front the cottage I live in has been washed up on shore and turned sideways in my front yard. The neighbor's now-broken dock is laying in their front yard on top of a two-foot pile of ice chunks from the lake. I think March is going "OUT like a lion". That's backwards!

This is an illustration of my son, Robin, who collects dogs wherever he goes...and pop! Watercolor, again, captures the casual comfort of familiar textures: strokeable dog fur, a soft cotton t-shirt, old worn tennis shoes, and that lovable-scruffy head of hair. Robin is 26 now, and so I get a bit nostalgic as I see this image. He is my middle son who has Down's syndrome. There are many stories in me about my boy, Robin! He is a character the world needs to meet! Hopefully, they (my stories) will find a publisher soon.

Robin loves romantic stories, always gravitating toward Snow White and other "princess" stories at the bookstore and video store (which all seem to have Heroes doing lots of saving and kissing!) I try to deflect his train of thought by telling him, "How about finding a nice story about a Boy and a Dog? It has become a "Thing!" Aunt Jill is more direct. She says, "Robin! Twenty-six-year-old boys just don't watch 'princess' movies!" He says, "Oh! ........ Never Mind then!"

No comments:

Post a Comment